Been a bit down in the dumps lately? You could be suffering from low levels of dopamine.
Maintaining adequate levels of dopamine is crucial to your health and well-being.
Dopamine is a chemical naturally produced in the brain. It’s responsible for movement control of your body; it also stimulates your metabolism, supports the circulatory system, eliminates depression and regulates information flow to the brain.
When your brain is forced to function on insufficient amounts of dopamine, you become more likely to experience a range of health problems such as weight gain, depression and involuntary body movements.
So if you’re trying to lose weight, having adequate amounts of dopamine is really important.
Fortunately, increasing dopamine levels in your brain is really simple. Eating certain foods can boost your metabolism while restoring dopamine levels.
Increase Dopamine with Your Diet
Below is a list of foods that contain the right amino acids or antioxidants to stimulate dopamine production in your brain:
- 1. Protein Foods: High in amino acids, eating proteins will help trigger dopamine production and stimulate your metabolism. Eggs, fish, poultry and red meat are all rich in protein. Fish has the added benefit of being high in Omega 3 fats, which contributes to brain function. Try to buy organic versions that are free from antibiotics, hormones and pesticides.
- 2. Folate Rich Foods: Folate also helps produce dopamine. Leafy greens, broccoli and cauliflower are all vegetables high in folate. Eating them raw gives you adequate amounts of the nutrient. Lentils, chickpeas, black beans, and papaya also contain folate.
- 3. Fruits High in Amino Acids: Bananas, blueberries, strawberries and prunes all contain an amino acid called tyrosine. Tyrosine prompts dopamine production in your brain.
- 4. Red Beets: Red beets are rich in the amino acid, betaine. Because it works as a kind of anti-depressant, betaine not only helps dopamine production but also gives your morale an added boost.
- 5. Apples: High in the antioxidant quercitin, apples can prevent neurodegenerative diseases as well as stimulate dopamine.
- 6. Watermelon Juice: A great source of Vitamin B-6, watermelon juice also helps produce dopamine.
Keeping your spirits elevated is essential when you’re trying to lose weight. While it helps to address the outside influences which affect your mood, eating the right kinds of foods will not only keep you happy, but will also help you start shedding pounds.